Friday, May 4, 2007

Visa applications

I had to apply for a visa to travel to Europe (don't ask why!) and found that I had to make paper copies of many documents: Letter from employer, letter from our French office, hotel reservations, air tickets, insurance information, etc. I wonder if the consulates should move to accepting electronic versions of these documents, maybe appropriately signed/notarized electronically. I know PDFs can be signed electronically, but I wonder if there is a way to notarize documents electronically. In any case, this would just make it easier for the consulates and for visa applicants.

I believe some consulates (UK, as an example) already accept applications online, but documents need to be sent by mail. So maybe they will soon move towards a paperless application system.

No comments: