Sunday, April 29, 2007

Desktop search tool

One of the reasons many of my colleagues and friends seem reluctant to store information electronically instead of paper copies is because they claim to have difficulty locating information on their computers. I find this somewhat difficult to understand because they would have the same difficulty with paper copies, except that some of them have developed elaborate paper archival schemes over the years that they haven't yet transferred over to their electronic habits.

In my view an easy way to deal with this is through a desktop search tool such as that from X1 so that people don't have to worry about where they store information. No more having to manually place emails or documents into separate folders (although that wouldn't hurt if you already have an established procedure). The desktop search tool, in my view, is such a bug productivity booster that I am quite surprised that many corporations have not yet made this mandatory. Perhaps they fear that corporate information might become a bit too easily available? I don't know for sure. X1 has certainly made it easier to me to reduce my dependence on paper without having to worry about searching for information I know is somewhere on my computer.